Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Batman Arkham Asylum gives you only ONE chance to choose your video settings, and NEVER lets you change them?

I downloaded the demo from Steam and ran it. I was in the middle of doing something when I was configuring the video settings. Had I known I would have no other opportunity to make these choices, I would have been MUCH more meticulous about hobbling the graphics from the getgo (P4 sans HT, 8400, 2GB RAM, Win7). First time I ran it, I turned up the volume using my keyboard and suddenly fullscreen 800x600 turned into windowed 800x600, with nowhere to change it back. I didn't see an exit option in the menus so I ALT+4 out and it says %26quot;are you sure you want to exit to desktop?%26quot; no, I'm randomly flippant, YES I want to exit! So I do. I get %26quot;your program has stopped responding blah blah blah%26quot; 3x in succession. Since then, whenever I run the B.A.A. demo, it only loads in 800x600 windows with all the settings on high, and it never gives me the option to adjust them before or after the game loads.



I tried finding something in the registry to delete, but all I found was an entry under HKLM-Software called %26quot;RocksteadyLtd%26quot; and deleting that didn't do jack.



Am I the lucky first person to have this problem, or have others run into this? More importantly has anyone figured out how to fix this?



Thanks all.



(btw, Mark H kicks *** as Joker)Batman Arkham Asylum gives you only ONE chance to choose your video settings, and NEVER lets you change them?Yes, this irked me at first as well. They clearly ported it directly from the console to the PC; after all, the in game options let you change the configuration of your Xbox360 controller, but not your GFX settings? Never fear. Go to C:\Steam/Steamapps\Common\batman arkham asylum - demo\Binaries



Click on Bmlauncher.exe. Voila. Why they couldn't be bothered to put this in the game is beyond me, but hey, I'll give them a break since it's probably the first movie game that is actually unique and fun to play.